You have decided that NOW is the time to start the process in buying your Hawaii Home. We all know that we choose professionals to help us with specific needs. For example, if you are having surgery you consult a doctor and surgeon for the specific area they are practicing. For buying or selling a home on Oahu, you consult a REALTOR®.
Following are a few tips to think about:
1. Find your special Real Estate Agent! It*s very important to make sure you have a skilled agent that knows our Hawaii real estate laws, contracts and neighborhood that you are interested in. Make sure that the REALTOR® is listening to YOUR needs.
2. There is never a right time to buy or sell. Don't play fortune teller on the market and interest rates. Your special home will not stay on the market long and we have a LOW inventory of homes. It is now a SELLER’S market.
3. Your seasoned REALTOR® has better advice than your ‘know it all’ friends and family. Listen to your REALTOR* regarding real estate matters because they are the experts in real estate and the advice of others will surely confuse you even further!
4. No home will ever be perfect! Let minor things go and just know…that the missing window screen hook is not a reason to give up that home you really love!
5. Don't be a ‘killer’ negotiator! It is part of the process to negotiate on the terms of a contract. If you really love that home then negotiate wisely or you could lose that home you really love!
6. Check on neighborhoods, noise levels, communities besides the physical aspects of the home. A home*s most important role is a comfortable, safe place to live.
7. Get approved for a mortgage before you find that special home! Look into VA or other loan programs that suit your needs. Find a good local lender who will support you throughout the loan process!
8. Prepare a budget for repairs and maintenance costs. There will always be some costs for repairs or upgrades. Make sure you are prepared with a budget for the upkeep of your home!
9. Be realistic. Hawaii's homes have less sq. ft. on land and interior. If you are from the Continental U.S. be prepared for smaller! Remember, we just have so much buildable land and rarely have a basement.
10. You will definitely have your doubts, anxieties and worries. It's a big commitment but always think positive. You will no longer be paying someone else’s mortgage (renting) and you will OWN your home!
Owning your own home is one of the biggest decisions you will make.
Choose your professional wisely.
Celeste "Sally" Cheeseman is a Realtor-Associate® and Certified Residential Specialist (CRS) with Century 21 Liberty Homes in Mililani, Hawaii. With a sharp understanding that a listening ear is the key to a client's needs she serves the island of Oahu (Honolulu County) and all Hawaii Military Relocations, Hawaii Retirees, Hawaii Job Transfers and Hawaii Residents, Home Buyers and Sellers.
© 2007-2015 Celeste "Sally" Cheeseman's
Hawaii Real Estate and Relocation Blog.
All rights reserved.