I tell my clients that whatever house they choose to purchase, it is really up to them to make it their home. They usually ask:
What do I mean by making the house my home?
I tell them to look under the seller’s clutter (or stuff) and imagine the house is theirs. I ask them to make a list of each house we view with pertinent points to make the shell of a house their own personal comfortable home.
1) Where would they put their own furniture in place of the occupant’s ‘stuff’.
2) Is the location of the home REALLY where they want?
3) How close to the shopping center, schools, freeway access?
4) Is the yard big enough or small enough for them?
5) Are you being realistic on what you can get for the price you are approved?
6) Does the house have enough bedrooms/baths?
7) What can you do with/without?
8) Can you do with a carport vs. garage?
9) You don’t like the bright pink and lavender paint….imagine your color?
10) Okay, so you can’t get over the smoke smell. …..Yeah, me either.
My mom contemplated ‘downsizing’ a few years back. She was happy when my son decided to get out of the U.S. Navy and come home. Since my mom has a bigger place, he went back to her house. He grew up there…and it was his home….it still is.
My daughter had a place to come home to when her husband was deployed to Afghanistan. I have 3 months left with my grandson and daughter before they return to their home to complete their family once again. That will be their HOME.
I see my old house every morning when I go see my grandson. It used to be my home…but now I have built a life with my husband and we made our small little 1 bedroom townhouse our HOME.
HOME IS WHERE OUR HEARTS ARE.
It’s our families and the memories…
…that make my house….
Celeste "Sally" Cheeseman is a Realtor-Associate® and Certified Residential Specialist (CRS) with Century 21 Liberty Homes in Mililani, Hawaii. With a sharp understanding that a listening ear is the key to a client's needs she serves the island of Oahu (Honolulu County) and all Hawaii Military Relocations, Hawaii Retirees, Hawaii Job Transfers and Hawaii Residents, Home Buyers and Sellers.
© 2007-2015 Celeste "Sally" Cheeseman's
Hawaii Real Estate and Relocation Blog.
All rights reserved.